Trends-AU

‘Bulls*** artists’: Chaos as NRL rival crumbles

Peter V’landys says potential NRL deserters Zac Lomax and Ryan Papenhuyzen will be allowed to return to the NRL after R360’s ambitious plans fell apart on Friday.

Lomax, and Papenhuyzen have been left in the wilderness after the rebel rugby competition announced its inaugural season has been postponed until 2028.

The two-year delay has only fuel further scepticism about the competition’s credibility as players from sporting codes around the world continue to be linked with big-money moves.

The initial plan was for R360 to launch next October with a smaller competition that would then expand with more teams, but that’s been scrapped with organisers announcing on Friday night that the global rugby series wouldn’t start until 2028.

The board determined that a full launch would offer “stronger market conditions, greater commercial certainty, and a significantly more favourable environment” to fans, players and broadcasters.

Papenhuyzen and Lomax have been the biggest victims of R360’s recruitment raid with the Melbourne Storm star granted permission to leave the Storm with one season remaining on his contract.

Lomax’s decision to quit the Eels with three seasons remaining on his contract was an even bigger gamble that appears to have blown up in his face.

As part of the terms of his early release from his Parramatta contract, Lomax is unable to sign with a rival NRL club until the end of the 2028 season — unless given permission by the Eels to return earlier.

The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield on Friday night wrote on X that R360 had “collapsed”.

“Bunch of bullshit artists,” he posted.

V’landys earlier this year said any player that signs a deal with R360 would be handed a 10-year ban from returning to the NRL.

The rebel competition’s biggest blow was a move from the most powerful national rugby union boards around the globe — to declare all R360 players would not be considered to play for their country.

With doors being shut in their faces, Lomax and Papenhuyzen may likely be forced to come back to the NRL with their tail between their legs.

“Naturally Ryan and Zac are most welcome to come back,” V’landys told AAP.

“They were just victims of the mirage.

“(It’s) no surprise. Their current business model was never going to work. It’s a shame so many people were hoodwinked.”

V’landys recently called R360 a “competition out of a Corn Flakes box”.

The delay could influence what Payne Haas does in 2027 with the Broncos star off contract at the end of next season and facing a reported $3m a year deal from R360.

Storm enforcer Nelson Asofa-Solomona has also been left in the wilderness after leaving the Storm.

It’s unclear if they would stay in rugby league, switch to overseas rugby or sign with R360, and it’s only getting murkier with the promises of huge contracts and tax-free incentives suddenly up in the air.

Organisers remain confident that the 2028 launch will work, with R360 keen to “complement” world rugby to help the game grow, but the decision to delay is a huge win for the NRL and its push to keep its biggest stars.

“R360 has always been about supporting the long-term growth of the sport we love,” R360 board member Mike Tindall said.

“Our aim is to create a global showcase league that sits between international and club rugby – a competition that keeps fans engaged year-round, brings new audiences into the game, and elevates both male and female players on a global stage.

“International rugby attracts huge audiences and is one of the most compelling products in world sport. But most players outside the biggest fixtures aren’t yet household names.

“Club rugby is vital to the rugby ecosystem however its reach remains limited to the core fans. There is a clear gap for a global, innovative competition that can broaden rugby’s appeal and inspire a new generation of fans – and our data consistently supports that need.

“As per many other sports, evolution is critical to broadening its appeal, finding new talent and realising commercial value.

“Cricket, Formula 1, football, sailing, golf, boxing, darts – to name a few – are all finding new ways to tell new stories to new audiences and building a stronger sport. This is rugby’s opportunity.

“The decision to shift our launch to 2028 is a strategic decision based on timing. Launching under compressed timelines would not meet the standards we set for R360, nor would it deliver the long-term commercial impact that the sport deserves.

“From day one, our commitment to players has been unwavering. Many of the world’s best female and male players continue to express strong interest in joining R360. We want them to thrive – not be placed under unnecessary pressure.

“Ensuring player welfare, supporting their international ambitions, and working collaboratively with the global game remain core to our approach.

“As a board we remain absolutely determined to bring R360 to life at full scale and with maximum global impact. We’re building something bold and new that will resonate globally – and we cannot wait to show the world in 2028.”

— with NewsWire

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button