Trends-AU

‘Bulls**t on every level’: Perth Bears’ NRL salary cap request slammed by rival club boss

One rival CEO says the Perth Bears’ request for salary cap concessions is “bulls**t on every level” as the NRL prepare to knock back potential incentives for the competition’s 18th team.

Bears coach Mal Meninga plans to “lobby” to the NRL in the coming days on why the expansion club needs salary cap concessions for travel and accommodation to lure free agents west.

Speaking to the SMH, Meninga outlined why the assistance would assist the Bears greatly.

WHAT’S GAMBLING REALLY COSTING YOU? Set a deposit limit. For Free and confidential support call 1800 858 858 or visit gamblinghelponline.org.au.

Tszyu vs Velazquez | Wednesday 17 Dec from 7pm AEDT | Tim Tszyu looks for redemption as “The Phoenix” takes on undefeated American Velazquez in an attempt to reignite his career. | Order Now with Main Event on Kayo Sports.

So far this free agency period, they’ve struggled to make much headway and have already missed out on several targets such as Beau Fermor, Cam Munster and Jayden Campbell.

“Distance isn’t a factor for the players. It’s more about the families, and how we can keep them happy,” Meninga said.

“We’re talking to the NRL about some reasonable requests that will help with the transition over here, including extra flights.

There’s a big CEOs meeting next week, so that will be an ideal place to do some lobbying … If we get told there will be no concessions, that’s fine, we’ll deal with it.”

At this stage, it appears the Bears’ wish won’t be granted, with ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys believing it would be unfair to other clubs if Perth received concessions.

Tigers CEO Shane Richardson didn’t mince words when asked about Perth’s request.

Richardson says the expansion club has to “stand on their own two feet”.

Broncos confident Haas will stay | 00:55

MORE NRL NEWS

NOV 1 LIVE: Star linked to four clubs amid DCE rumour; Storm’s Katoa replacement

‘S**T HAPPENS’: Ex-star ‘bitter’ at Dragons after failing to get ‘fair crack’ at recall

BEAR HUNT: Mal misses mountain of talent, but could still sign guns, outcast No.7

NRLW BURNING Q’S: Fallout of Broncos exodus; huge halves question marks

“There should be no salary cap concessions whatsoever,” he said.

“If they can’t make a go of it, it’s a poor situation, especially in a one-team town.

“There are nine clubs operating in Sydney. It’s bulls**t on every level if they think they’re going to get concessions.

“They wanted to come in, they knew the rules, they knew what was happening. They have to play by the rules everyone else plays by.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button