Trends-CA

Shooting in Stockton sends multiple victims to hospital, deputies say

At least four people were killed and 10 others wounded in a shooting during a family gathering in the Northern California city of Stockton Saturday night, authorities said. The suspect remains at large.  

Heather Brent, a spokesperson for the San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office, told reporters in a briefing that the shooting occurred around 6 p.m. Pacific Time at a banquet hall along the 1900 block of Lucile Avenue. She said the victims ranged in age from juveniles to adults. 

Stockton Vice Mayor Jason Lee wrote in a social media post that “the mass shooting” occurred “at a child’s birthday party,” but Brent could not confirm the details of the event, only calling it a “family gathering.” 

“An ice cream shop should never be a place where families fear for their lives,” Lee added. Although, Brent did not confirm the exact location of the shooting. 

No arrests have been made, Brent said. And there were no immediate details about the suspect or a possible motive, though Brent said early indications suggest it was targeted. The circumstances that led up to the shooting were unclear. 

The office of California Gov. Gavin Newsom said in a social media post that Newsom had been briefed on the shooting. 

“We are urging anyone with information, video footage, or who may have witnessed any part of this incident to contact the San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office immediately,” the sheriff’s office said in a news release.  

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

More from CBS News

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button