‘They Need a LEADER’ – Former NBA Player Takes Shots at Clippers Star Kawhi Leonard

Kawhi Leonard’s availability has once again been spotty this season.
Last year, Leonard only played 37 games due to several injuries. He had a right knee inflammation at the start of the season, followed by a sprained right foot and ankle.
Going into Nov. 26 action, Leonard has only played in eight of the Clippers’ 18 games to date. Leonard had logged those 10 absences due to a sprained right ankle and a concurrent sprained right foot.
As a result, a former NBA player is now calling out the Clippers star.
A Former NBA Player Believes That the Clippers Should Move on From Kawhi Leonard
In a recent interview with Leonard, the Clippers star voiced his opinion on his team’s current roster. Leonard believes that he should be surrounded by better teammates if the teams wants to contend for a championship.
“Just gotta get the right lineups on the court, I guess,” Leonard said. “Get some more talent. Play with better talent and see what happens.”
While there might be some truth to Leonard’s statement, former NBA player Eddie Johnson didn’t appreciate his sentiments.
Johnson called out the Clippers star on social media. He broke down how Leonard has been more absent than he was present in the past five seasons. Johnson then suggested that the Clippers should move on from Leonard and acquire someone else who can truly lead the team.
“Missed 10 games already this year, averaged 52 games played in 5 years, plus add the year (Kawhi Leonard) missed,” Johnson wrote on X. “Started season hanging a cloud over team with off-court endorsement, and has audacity to return from latest injury and say I need better teammates! I think they need a LEADER!”
Missed 10 games already this year, averaged 52 games played in 5 years, plus add the year he missed. Started season hanging a cloud over team with off court endorsement, and has audacity to return from latest injury and say I need better teammates! I think they need a LEADER! https://t.co/YJAOb2uKPt
— Eddie A Johnson (@Jumpshot8) November 26, 2025
While there might be some truth to Johnson’s sentiments regarding Leonard, trading him away is easier said than done. There’s no denying that Leonard is still capable of putting up All-Star numbers; however, it’s his checkered injury history that make him less valuable.
Leonard is currently in the second year of his three-year contract worth $149.5 million. He still has approximately $100.3 million remaining in his contract. Consequently, teams might not be willing to give up that much for a player whose availability is seemingly always in question.




